Mold Spores Are Microscopic
Mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. It is impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
IICRC - Institute of Inspection, Cleaning & Restoration Certification
The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. Only IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo. SERVPRO of North Huntington displays the logo proudly. Our technicians are highly trained and certified in all areas of the restoration industry. When fire, water or mold affects your home or business, you can count on our team to help.
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for the restoration industry. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
If you would like more information or have questions regarding our IICRC credentials, please contact our office. 631-423-1734
Insurance Claims & Water Damage
Many of us will face a water damage in our home at some point, as it is the third most common reason that homeowners file insurance claims.
Understanding the different types of water damage and how they can impact insurance claims is important. For example, if there are things that have been happening over time, such as plumbing issues behind the walls that have now caused visible damage to the walls, ceilings or floors, or water damage caused by cracks in the foundation, there might be a coverage issue. Don't let this stop you from moving forward with making a claim. Contact SERVPRO of North Huntington for a detailed in home assessment. We can even work directly with your insurance company in most cases!
Commom Causes of Water Damage
Water Damage Common Causes
- Washing machine failures. Machines overflowing, supply hose failures and drain line failures are typically the causes of washing machine failures and are one of the top 10 sources of residential water losses.
- Toilet failures. Toilets are the second highest source of residential water loss after plumbing supply systems. Anything from faulty fill valves or clogged drain lines can cause toilets to malfunction and cause water damage.
Plumbing supply system failures. This happens when frozen pipes burst due to the buildup in water pressure caused by freezing water or when the supply system material fails resulting in a leaking or bursting pipes.
Plumbing drain system failures. This situation occurs when sewer drains back up and overflow into a home or from construction material performance issues.
Water heater failures. Water heaters reaching or passing their life expectancy begin to rust and corrode, which can result in leaking or bursting issues.
House Fires Caused by Candles
SERVPRO of North Huntington will make your Fire Damage "Like it never even happened."
As much as you might love lighting up a candle, consider this: Between 2009 and 2013, candles were responsible for 9,300 home fires. This caused $374 million in property damage in the U.S. About a third of these fires started in the bedroom, and half of them were simply because something was left too close to the flame and caught fire.
How to Reduce Candle Fires:
- Always blow out candles when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Never leave kids alone in a room with a burning candle.
- Keep candles away from anything that's flammable.
- Consider using flameless, battery operated candles. You can get ones that are scented!
- Use flashlights instead of candles if your power goes out.
No one ever thinks they will be the victim of a house fire. Making a few small changes can help to keep your family and your home safe.
We are here to help with fire, smoke and soot damage.
SERVPRO of North Huntington is always here to help should you experience fire, smoke or soot damage.
For many Americans, experiencing a home fire is a nightmare scenario that has become a reality. Each year more than 350,000 house fires occur in the U.S. Fortunately, you can take steps to help protect your home from fire by learning about and watching for fire hazards within it. The primary cause of house fires is cooking, but smoking is the smoking is the primary cause of home fire deaths. Here are a few tips to help keep you safe:
- When cooking, always stay in the kitchen or by the grill.
- Keep a metal lid handy to smother grease fires - never put water on a grease fire, it will explode!
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
- If you smoke, do it outside.
- Remain alert when you're smoking - smoking while sleepy or under the influence is not safe!
Protect your property from storm related damaging winds.
There are a number of ways you can help protect your property from storm related damaging winds. Some are listed below, but keep the “Two R’s” in mind: reinforce and remove.
Hire a professional to remove any large or dying trees and branches that could be blown over onto your home.
Remove or anchor loose items on your property that could be blown around and tossed by the wind. This includes trash cans, grills and outdoor furniture.
- Have your garage door reinforced by a professional.
We don’t always receive advanced notice about straight-line or damaging winds. But, as we all know, being proactive with some of the above preventive items may help to protect you from damage. As always, SERVPRO of North Huntington is only a phone call away should you need us!
Hiding Spots Where Water Can Accumulate
Water damage can happen at any time. SERVPRO of North Huntington will ensure that the cleanup and restoration is done right!
There are a variety of reasons water damage can occur, and they can often manifest in covert areas of a home or business.
The complications that come with discovering water damage are compounded by its cost. There are many insurance policies that do not accept water damage claims, but for the ones that do, the typical claim is well above $6,000. Being aware of the hidden spots water where water damage can accumulate is wise for home and business owners so they can get ahead of the issues.Where Water Damage Can Hide
Below windows. The exterior seal of a window and wall can become weathered, allowing water to seep into the wall unnoticed.
Behind siding. Siding panels overlap at various points around the house, which are where they can be susceptible to leaking.
Below thresholds. Most thresholds have a metal plate at their base, but these are not typically sealed against the elements. If the door is often exposed to weathering, water can eventually seep through to the wood.
Under exterior paint. Windowsills and deck railings are often painted repeatedly, which creates small gaps that water can seep through.
Behind the dishwasher. The dishwasher’s cubby is rarely inspected, and can harbor water damage from leaky seals or hoses.
Inside the walls. Water pipes that are leaky can cause water to seep into the walls, especially near sinks and tubs.
Under an unsteady toilet. The seal around the base of a toilet can begin to leak, often going unnoticed until the floor becomes unsteady due to the damage.
If your home or office has suffered water damage (even in a hidden place like one of these), SERVPRO of North Huntington is happy to help! Give us a call!
Working With Us Is a Smart Business Decision
When you call our 24/7 emergency line, we are ready to respond.
Businesses that sustain damages after a natural disaster are in a vulnerable position. So vulnerable, in fact, that FEMA recently reported that 40 to 60% of them are unable to resume operations after a disaster strikes. This makes the period of disaster recovery crucial for business owners, which is why it is advised to work with a leader in commercial restoration to get your business back to pre-disaster conditions.
Three reasons why working with SERVPRO of North Huntington is imperative when getting your business restored:
1. We’re Available Day and Night
You may know that we are “faster to any disaster,” but you are probably not aware that our round-the-clock service is able to make that happen. We know that business owners have many things to do after a disaster. That’s why when you call our 24⁄7 emergency line, are ready to respond.
2. We’re Well-Staffed
We take the hiring and training of our technicians very seriously so that we can provide the best service to business owners. We train our technicians according to the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) standards to ensure they are fully up-to-date and current within their field. Additionally, we provide access to virtual learning seminars and offer employee certification programs to give incentive for continued education within the restoration field.
3. We Care About Our Equipment
When we purchase equipment, we make sure to follow the guidelines set by the IICRC in order to ensure we are competitive and up to date. By choosing the best tools in the industry, we can ensure that every task—from removing toxic air particles to removing moisture from a flooded room—is done efficiently and effectively.
If you’re in need of commercial restoration, do not hesitate to make the call so you can get your business back up and running faster. Our trained experts are here to help 24/7—contact us today.
Heating Your Home Safely
SERVPRO of North Huntington is here to help if your home experiences a fire damage.
Most home heating fires occur on winter evenings. Space heaters cause two of every five fires and another one third are caused by fireplaces or chimneys.
How to Heat Your Home Safely:
- If you use a space heater, keep it at least three feet away from anything flammable including: bedding, mattresses, clothing, and upholstered furniture - that's the biggest factor in fire heating deaths.
- Make sure children stay away from space heaters and fireplaces.
- Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or go to sleep. Don't keep them on all night.
- Always use a screen in front of your fireplace and have your chimney professionally cleaned annually. Douse any fire or coals before you go to sleep or if you leave the house.
- Never heat your home with your oven.